Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Tastes from Hawaii

While we lived in Hawaii, I came to love curry.

Ok, well not all curry, really just one curry in particular....Thai pineapple curry.

I am not kidding when I say that I was/am obsessed with it. I could only find it at one restaurant on the North Shore, so that's where I chose to go for date night at least once a month while we were on that island! When we moved, I never really thought about how difficult it would be to find something (anything!) similar.

Well, I soon discovered it was pretty much impossible, so I gave up trying. I told myself a million times that I would just find recipes online and try them until I found one somewhat close. So, here we are, almost 3 years after moving off Oahu, and I finally found a recipe!!!!


Confession: it's actually the only recipe I've tried but since it was so good, I don't have to find and try 15 more to get it right! Woohooo!!


This is the recipe I based mine off of, but I took some things out, added others and this is what I got:

2 chicken breasts
1 cup of fresh pineapple (I used canned pineapple chunks)
1/2 cup of bamboo shoots
2 Tbs red curry paste (store bought)
1 Tbs of grated ginger (I got tired of grating it so I was a little short of 1 Tbs)
2 garlic cloves
1.5 Tbs of fish sauce
1/2 cup of chicken broth
1 cup of coconut milk
1 Tbs of coconut oil
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
Fresh basil or cilantro to garnish (I hate cilantro, but I think basil is a better choice anyway!)
Optional: 1 Tbs of corn flour for thicker curry

****If you use fresh pineapple instead of canned, add 1 tsp of sugar


1. Cut chicken in to bite size pieces and in a large pan (I don't own a wok, but if you do, use it!) cook chicken with coconut oil.
2. Add ginger and garlic to the pan and cook for a few minutes. Then add curry paste and stir to combine with the chicken.
*****At this point, I dumped the chicken, garlic, ginger, and curry paste mixture into a pre-heated pot because my pan was not big enough to hold all the liquids I would be adding.
3. Add chicken broth, sugar (if using fresh pineapple), turmeric, bamboo shoots, and fish sauce. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Add coconut milk and stir, then add pineapple. Cook for another 5-8 minutes.
5. To thicken your curry, you can mix 1 Tbs of corn flour with 3 Tbs of cold water and add the mixture at the end. Let it simmer for a few minutes until it thickens. It will be most noticeable when the curry cools down a little.
6. Enjoy!!


I love my curry over rice, Anthony loves his with rice noodles. I haven't quite mastered the rice noodle curry thing yet, so when I do I'll let you know.

Oh, also, we both didn't love the bamboo shoots, so I think I will ditch those next time.


If you try this recipe, or the original, let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment